Life in Eugene
As you may have guessed, due to the sheer number of blog posts lately (um...none), that life in Eugene is keeping us fairly busy. Preparing for my first round of report cards has left me steeped in school work for the past few weeks. The report cards finally went home on Friday and now I'm looking forward to branching out into areas of life that don't include grading or planning. I've also been teaching Turbo Kick at the local Y two days a week.Jeff is busy coordinating the homeless youth programs all over Lane County. In the process, he's been able to meet a lot of interesting people and see a lot of the county, which stretches from the Pacific ocean into the foothills of the Cascades. It's a beautiful and varied landscape. One of his schools led him to discover a gorgeous (and challenging!) frisbee golf course. It's in a state park and includes views of the mountains and a large lake. I think it's one of the most beautiful courses I've seen. It's about a half an hour drive from our house, which is nice, too.
Jeff has also been writing up a storm. He's still putting the finishing touches on The Night Before Forever, though he's also written another short book called The Secret of Locker 126 which (hopefully) will be used for an education project through Miami of Ohio. He also had a new fiction article published recently in New City Chicago. Here's the link:
http://www.newcitychicago.com/chicago/6181.html. Just copy and paste it into your browser window. It's called "The One That Got Away."
Yesterday, we enjoyed sampling beers at a fundraiser for the local public radio station. For a fundraiser, they hosted a microbrew festival that drew breweries from all over the Pacific Northwest. Jeff even got to sample some Arrogant Bastard that was aged in an oak barrel. Sadly, I missed this delightful brew, as I was on my way back from the Oregon Reading Confernce in Portland.
We're looking forward to a visit from Christian, Jeff's college roommate, later this week. We're also expecting Gail in March and my parents over the first weekend in May. Anyone else for a visit?
We've heard you've had a lot of snow back in the midwest and in Denver this year. Though we've had our share of snow as well (I'll try to post some pictures), it's been in the 50s lately. There are daffodils shooting up and I saw my first robin last week. We're not sure if we're on the fast track to spring or if we've been hit by global warming. :) Either way, it's lovely! Come on out and see us!

2 Comments:
Hey- thanks for the shout out- and for finally posting something. You guys are going to have to teach me about this blogging stuff before I go.
And it's lovely to hear from Eugene!
Jeff... great story. I look forward to reading more of your stuff. You have the gift.
Em... miss you! We'd visit, but we're buried in snow. Just kidding, but it sure feels like it. Not quite the 12 feet they have in upstate NY, but it's been cold here for a longer stretch than I can remember. Michael's fairly sure my fingers and toes are going to fall off soon if we don't have a thaw. Send some daffodils our way!
Sending love your way,
T
Post a Comment
<< Home